Commercial Safety Consultants - Security Services You Can Trust

SIA Approved Training Centre - Public Space Surveilance CCTV Training

It is essential for all personnel involved in the security service industry to have undergone a structured program of security training and education resulting in recognised security qualifications if they are to be effective and professional in their role. Increasingly, buyers of security services also recognise that individuals with enforcement responsibilities must have a broad range of skills and a clear understanding of their role. As the scope, diversity and importance of their work continues to grow, so does the degree of professionalism expected from them. The SIA has talked to security service suppliers, security service customers, training organisations, awarding bodies, trade associations, local government and the police to achieve an agreement on the approach to be taken in developing and delivering security training and qualifications leading to SIA licensing. The aim of new security training and qualifications is to increase the skills and professionalism of those engaged in the security industry and to raise standards of performance.


A Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) licence is required when manned security guarding activities are carried out through the use of closed circuit television equipment to: monitor the activities of a member of the public in a public or private place; or identify a particular person. This includes the use of CCTV in these cases to record images that are viewed on non-CCTV equipment, but excludes the use of CCTV solely to identify a trespasser or protect property. A Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) licence is required only if your services are supplied for the purposes of or in connection with any contract to a consumer.

There are two types of SIA licence:

A front line licence is required if undertaking licensable activity, other than key holding activities (this also covers undertaking non-front line activity). A front line licence is in the form of a credit card-sized plastic card that must be worn, subject to the licence conditions.

A non-front line licence is required for those who manage, supervise and/or employ individuals who engage in licensable activity, as long as front line activity is not carried out - this includes directors (For the purposes of the Private Security Industry Act 2001, "director" means executive and non-executive directors, shadow directors, parent company directors and corporate entities holding a directorship) or partners. A non-front line licence is issued in the form of a letter that also covers key holding activities. If you have a non-front line licence you do not need to have another one if you are involved in another area of non-front line licensable activity (for example: if you are a director of a firm supplying security guards but you also supply vehicle immobilisers, you will not need to have two licence's).

For further information about our services, or if you would like one of our professionals to contact you,

please contact us on 0808 155 7565